Thursday 27 March 2014

Rudi Schwarz Dining Suite

SOLD:  Rudi Schwarz Dining Suite


The set is all done and looks fantastic.  Now that it's done what I'm really enjoying is the subtle play of all the angles working together.  It's only now that I have the chairs set round the table that the nuances of this suite become mesmerizing . I always thought of this as such a straight line piece but now all the angles come to play.





 Thursday 27th March


The table got it's first coat of oil yesterday, it's so rewarding to see the rosewood come back to life.  That was my prize for two days of continuous hand sanding of the chairs.   They too are looking good.  Time to slip them back together and think about fabric.  I'm going neutral so that the stunning lines that Mr Schwarz put together are on full display.

Sunday 23rd March

Just got my hands on this stunning rosewood and mahogany dining suite by Rudi Schwarz. This set was designed and produced in the seventies for Whitmore's Arti Domo, Christchurch, so it would be fitting that is where I had it shipped up from.  like his iconic drawer & sideboards designs from this range it concentrates on simplicity  and the the straight line.  The book-matched veneer top is stunning and one of the more striking examples I have seen.

It only had 4 chairs with it so I am scrambling to find a couple more. I managed to find 2 more carvers and think I have a lead on one more standard so I can make up the traditional set.
I've had to remove the coating on the table top which I was loath to do but it was so old and yellowed there was little choice.  Watching the rosewood come back to life was the absolute highlight of yesterday.    I've started work on the chairs I have and they are coming up nicely.  They will get the works.  Traditionally they have a very dark varnish finish, but I've decided against reapplying a dark finish so that the solid mahogany can sing its own song, I hope Mr Schwarz doesn't mind.