Saturday 15 March 2014

Backhouse Coffee Table

SOLD: Large Backhouse Coffee Table

 


The large 1.5m Backhouse table is one of my favorite NZ MC coffee tables and the same version as the one I have in my personal collection. I'm sitting at it as I type.  The proportions of this table make it perfect as real work horse, not just a very pretty face.  There are others that I drool over a touch more as far as pure aesthetics go, like my Jon Jansen cloud table, but for looks and all round sturdy usability this one takes the prize everytime.  Form and function, it's what its all about. 

This one came to me in good vintage condition apart from the coating on the top which had to be removed.  No longer providing enough protection for the veneer clashed top it had to go.  I did my usual light sand for this.  Remove the coating but for goodness sake leave the veneer alone.  I don't know how many a veneer piece we have all seen that have been sanded to within a fraction of a millimeter of their useful lives just to remove a light scratch or two.  This big boy is happy as a table can be and it just waiting for a couple of stylee mags in a show home or a couple of kids doing homework; Or both. 

Gotta love it.