Wednesday 12 March 2014

70's rockers

SOLD: 70's rockers.



I popped off the legs and stripped them back by hand.  The curves were lovely to work with and look fantastic with their rich tones once again on full display.  I decided to stay with the lighter tones for the fabric to contrast against the wood. 

I picked out one of my softest thick weave fabrics in a light cream and remade the covers as the originals had been done.  The piping along the seat was a delicate detail that I didn't want to loose.  I did the buttons in a slightly small weave fabric as an added detail.  She looks so peaceful now.

Saturday 8th March


Finally I just got round to starting the first rocking chair.  Anyone who knows me will know that I don't split up sets of furniture or pairs of chairs, no matter how financially appealing it may be at times. My only exception is rocking chairs (oh and occasionally bedroom furniture, don't ask me why on that one).

My reasoning for rocking chairs, which may be misguided, is that I have always seen them as a singular piece of furniture. I know there is the image of the US ma and pa sat on the veranda Waltons style in their matching hand carved rockers.  That's just not the image I have so these are getting split up and treated as individuals.

Friday 24th January

I picked up this pair of rockers before Christmas and had them in the house over the holidays, Soon it will be their turn for the limelight.


 

There is a little work to do as some extra screws were added along the way.  Some new clothes are required and the frames need a good sand.  They have great lines though so they should be little stunners with a little elbow grease and TLC.