Sunday 10 June 2012

Gorgeous Mahogany 3 piece Suite

SOLD: Gorgeous Mahogany 3 piece Suite



A couple more little tweaks to go and a 2 more throw cushions to make but she's done and she looks pretty happy about it. Sleek and sexy she is going to be a real pleasure to look at for as long as she is here.

This is probably not a set for the absolute perfectionist as she does have new handles on the couch recline mechanism, and wear marks on the coatings.  I have to say I have a foot in both camps on the restored/original issue.  Slight imperfections do catch my eye and can on occasion blind me to the overall beauty of a piece. Totally opposed to this, I also have a deep respect for the ideals of retaining the enduring vintage elements of any set.  This is a debate I know I will have with every piece and it never gets easier.  I delight in, my own, & other restorers 'fully finished' pieces and I also respect those that choose to retain the original (including me), over perfection.  Agh, like I said "a debate with every piece".





 


Saturday 9th June 

We're well on the way now.  The new foam arrived and after my usual deliberations I selected a lovely chunky light grey/green toned fabric to contrast heavily against the rich tones of the mahogany frames.  

The weave contains threads ranging from a light grey to an olive green.  The new covers have been complimented by a a range of throw cushions from my retro fabric collection, including one of my favorites, a bark cloth in greens with strong geometric design.  

The new clip & webbing seating has gone into the two chairs and all the springs on the couch are in great condition.  I'm absolutely loving the shape of these and with just a little more work to be done with the couch this set is almost ready. 




Thursday 7th June



I'm not sure who made the set I am working on at the moment, and neither do others that have probably forgotten more than I will ever know about vintage furniture. So, I can't tell you who made it; what I can tell you, boy did they ever know what they were doing!  It's stunning.  

It is very similar in some ways to a Danske Møbler set that I have in at the moment, but the slender cigar shaped legs are more reminiscent of a Parker detail, they also have the clip and webbing system that Parker Furniture and others used during the 60's & 70's.  If I had to bet, I would say it is NZ produced, and I would guess mid/late 60's possibly early 70's at the outside.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter who designed or manufactured this set (I would love to know don't get me wrong but...) the pieces speak for themselves, and the quality, that is evident in every curve, join, and design detail of which there are many worth mentioning.

The slender cigar shaped legs and the strong confident curve of the sloped arm rests are both balanced and accentuated by straight lines used throughout the rest of the frame.  The visual delicacy of the cane used in the backs is offset by the broad framing.  They have great proportions with generous seat depth. 

They need some new webbing, some fresh foam and they are going to get new covers.  The arms have had a light sand as the coating was beyond salvage.  A few coats of oil have brought these back in line with the rest of the coating that was in overall good vintage condition.  The existing coating has been given a clean and conditioned with a light wax.  

Can't wait to see these done..More Photos coming