Wednesday 6 June 2012

Parker Furniture three piece lounge suite.

SOLD: Parker Furniture three piece lounge suite.


There are still a few tweaks and a couple of coats of oil to go, but all in all the Parker set is finished. She looks great and it is easy to see why it is such a classic and lasting design icon from the MC era. 


I kept her in her original tones and accompanied the burnt orange woven fabric with some throw cushions from one of my favorite vintage fabric ends & some of the fabric she came in.    I get to just sit back and enjoy the lines for as long as she is with me.



Tuesday 5th June


I had a great day with the Parker set today.  The new webbing arrived and the covers look great.  These arrived with a bright orange upholstery and why change a good thing.  I have to select my fabrics for the throw cushions tomorrow and I am hoping to use some of the original fabric for a couple of them letting some of the original go forward with the set.  These should be listed tomorrow


Monday 4th June

I know I have said it before but, day 3 of frame prep is always the hardest, especially on a set like like this that demands absolute & full concentration.

I did have the joy of finally seeing the wood grain come back to life, with all it's tones and textures, as the chairs and couch got the first full clean from final sanding dust & the initial coat of oil today.

I don't do this by mistake, my prep & oiling schedule has well been honed over time.  The last day of frame prep is deliberately balanced with the pleasure of the first oiling.  

Just as the first signs of rejuvenation brings joy, other things bring me close to dangerous... I spent well over 2 hours today simply taking the old pins & staples from the couch seat. I did the chairs bases on day one to split one of my least favorite jobs.  This is all to ready the couch frame for the new webbing going on tomorrow, so 140 pins; apx 240 staples; 2 blisters & a bad attitude later, we're good to go.



All the pieces are back together now and well on the road to fabulous.  As much as I grumble and wonder what the hell I'm doing sometimes (I worked out my probable hourly labor rate on this set today, always a mistake :-).   I am constantly revived by that first blush of grain, getting to sit back and looking on the lines of the frames and knowing how great this set is going to feel when it is complete in a few days. It is all worth while.  She's a little classic, no two ways about it and I am lucky to be working with her.  Don't ever let me forget it (even on day 3).

Sunday 3rd June

I finished sanding the second chair and they both slipped together beautifully. The first coat of oil is due on tomorrow.  I also got started on the couch this afternoon, and that will hopefully be finished as far as the frame prep goes tomorrow. 




Saturday 2nd June

After another pretty full day the second chair, this time the highback is in pieces and has had the old coating removed.  There is still a little sanding to do but it's all looking good so far.  If I can get the chairs back together tomorrow I can turn my attention to the couch. 



Friday 1st June


So here we go...  I just started work on the Parker suite.  I had to take apart the lowback to reset a couple of joints that were working loose. 

Unfortunately the full set will have to have the coating removed due to condition. It will then be resealed with Danish Oil.  The cane is in overall great condition.  

...  7 hours later .... 

All is good. It was a total hands on with these, gentle gentle, as usual to keep all the delicate details.  She is still in pieces and will go back together tomorrow.  Then it's the turn of the highback.


Wednesday 23rd May



Just got this Parker Furniture suite delivered.   A lovely quality set, in overall good vintage condition.  

 It will need some love but I am going to let it sit with me for a few days so I can make some decisions.... restore or renovate, recover or revive, those are the questions.