Sunday 24 June 2012

Fred Lowen Fler Daybed

SOLD: Fred Lowen Fler Daybed 



I have joined this superb example of the F. Lowen for Fler day bed with the chairs, to make up a stunning set. Just lovely together I would love to see them move forward as a set, and as great examples of the brilliance of the Lowen design ethos.








Wednesday 20th June

Finally with a few more days work, she is done.  She is still getting more coats of oil but I finished the throw cushions today and that newly covered squabs are in place.  She's back to full power. The new foam has been covered in a heavily woven fabric with a grey/brown hue.  The throw cushion have been made from floral print fabrics that highlight the tones of the squabs. 

The spring cover was beyond saving so a new one has been made but the original label has been transferred.  I have one of these in my personal collection, a stunning piece of design it is a collection item now and it's lines, simplicity and grace will ensure that it goes forward as an iconic piece for generations to come.




Sunday 17th June

Towards the end of the week I also got started on the Fler daybed that will be listed alongside the Fler chairs.  Designed by Fred Lowen this one was produced in NZ on license to Broadhead Bros. 

When she arrived the coating was so clouded and dirty that I couldn't even tell what the wood was. All the bolt covers were missing, and she just looked sad, unloved and about ready for the place where furniture goes to die.


After two days of very careful sanding, a couple of reset joints and a little elbow grease... what a difference.  She is absolutely gleaming.   The wood itself, a wonderful rich mahogany, was in good condition.  all the delicate design details of the arms had come through the last 50 years relatively unscathed. Thankfully the cane was also intact and in pretty good nick.  

I put her back together today and gave her the first rub of oil and every time my eye wanders that way, I just smile.  I love days like this!  Time to get her some new clothes.