Thursday 4 April 2013

Special little lounger

SOLD: Special little lounger



She's all done, I had waited such a long time to work with one of these so it was a little self indulgent to take so much time with it, but I loved (almost) every second.  What a fab design.  Each little angle, each little change of material where wood meets fabric, where fabric meets leather, where leather meets wood. Inspired


Someone else thinks it's inspired, it made it onto the front page of Trade Me - My first ever 'Cool Auction'.








Thursday 28th March



Progress is slow but steady with these.  The chair is almost complete, just the fabric back panel to fit.  The couch is fully stripped and ready to have her new look started tomorrow.  The teal toned Textilia fabric is looking just as I hoped against the rich tones of the newly finished mahogany details and the new black fabric leather armrests. I love feeling these pieces come back to life.  There's still at least a day and a half to go on the couch, but I'm getting there.


Tuesday 19th March.


Joy & happiness;  I have found a stunning fabric for this piece.  As one of my favorite companies I had to head out to Textilia.  I have used this fabric (Bastion:Kingfisher) before on an Airest rocket chair and was really hoping it was still available.  I am considering a little two tone action for these as a hat tilt to their original ethos and another fabric (again Textilia) for some matching throw cushions.  



Monday 18th March

I completely overspent on purchasing these, I just couldn't resist. I have seen them before online and really wanted to work with one.  When this one showed up I talked myself into and then out of buying it for a week.  We know which devil on my shoulder won!  The good bank account angel went off in a huff, can't say I blame her. Oh well.  When it arrived it was everything I hoped.  You just can't help but smile when you look at them.  There is a lovely whimsy about them.



I started stripping back the chair to see what I was dealing with, an unknown quantity I wanted to see what spring systems and construction they use.  Talking off the upholstery revealed the original worn covers & their colour scheme (can't say I will be replicating that).  Everything looks good apart from the side springs on the base and the seat foam, those will need replacing.  My big problem now is what fabric to use.  I don't have anything in stock that fits the bill. Time to go fabric hunting....