Friday 15 February 2013

Airest dining chairs & table

SOLD: 4 Airest dining chairs & table.


Finally a decision was made. I would keep the original colour scheme, but I decided to recover in one of my favorite fabrics instead of vinyl.  After being recovered the chairs went back together like a dream. and all four are once again ready for some seriously good dinners.  The table came up well with the oil and together they make a very neat (& comfortable) dining solution for the space conscious.    







Wednesday 14th January



 Well every now and again I get surprised.  Five hours later the table top is cleaned, the broken dowels on the legs replaced and the whole frame clamped back together.  I think, although it will never be 'perfect', it's still a little cutie. It has come back much better than I thought it would.  Can't wait for tomorrow when I can put the top on and give it some oil. 


10:30am

Two hours, 723 staples and one blister later, they are ready for some new clothes... choices, choices...

8:00am

I did the final sanding on the chairs yesterday and today is the dreaded removal of old covers (blisters here I come).  I also got to have a good look at the table yesterday, poor thing is in a sad state, but, I think she's worth some work.  It's never going to be perfect. The table top (veneer) is too badly marked to ever be showroom quality without completely replacing the veneer.  It is still a great little table so I've decided to do what I can.  It will be a great piece for the batch or a home where 'perfection' is not what it's about.

Monday 11th January

 I managed to get on to these today.  I removed all the seats and got to work with the frames.  I was delighted to see (once the old coating was removed) that the frames themselves are in great condition. There is some lovely grain and the tones are going to sing by the time I'm finished with them. My least favorite job of removing all the old covers along with the hundreds of old staples I have left till tomorrow. (ahh avoidance got to love it.)

Sunday 10th January


I picked up four dining chairs by Airest at the weekend.  Okay so they need a full work up, the old vinyl is cracked and dead and the wood frames clouded and covered in marks. The foam needs to be checked and a couple of joints need a little attention but the bare bones look good.

I got a table with them (not sure it's Airest), unfortunately that may be beyond repair, but I will have a closer look today to make sure.  My big decision now is, "to vinyl or not to vinyl" the chairs,  I am tempted to soften them with a little fabric love instead.