Wednesday 16 January 2013

Cute Little Blond

SOLD: Cute little set of Blond Oak Drawers 1950'


I got this little set of drawers the other day.  They were well used and looking a little sad and neglected, I on the other hand was delighted.  I know these sets, being solid wood construction there is not much that a lot of elbow grease and sandpaper can't cure. 

I did have a little disappointment when I saw that they hadn't come through the last 60 year totally unscathed.  They had evidence of Borer.  20 little holes that are the bane of any furniture restorer.  Luckily there was no sign of the tunnels so the visual impact to the finished piece would be minimal. 

I started by taking off the original handles and then got to work.  Sanding, sanding and a little more sanding started to bring back the oak grains uninterrupted by old cup marks and thinning varnish.  It took a few hours but they were well worth it.  After cleaning off all sanding dust and starting the oiling process the set came back to it's full blond honey tones.  What a little cutie.