Thursday 17 January 2013

Danske Møbler 3 piece lounge suite

SOLD: Danske Møbler 3 piece lounge suite




She's finished, and looking fab.  It was so exciting getting the squabs back from the upholsterers and just as I hoped they sit brilliantly against the dark tones of the afromosia wood frame.  She is definitely no shrinking violet.  Sorely want to keep her, but I am running out of space.  I have my Tessa Bentwood and my Don.  I can't keep a third...










3rd October

The cane has been fitted, I've decided to give it a light stain to both protect the cane and tone it down slightly.  The original cane was spray varnished but it had cracked and was peeling so I will use a stain and oil on the new instillation to ease future upkeep. The springs have been set back into the seat and now, apart from coats of oil I am just about done. I am getting really excited about the covers coming back from the upholsterers I can't wait to see it all put together.


30th September

After four days of delicate sanding the frames were starting to show all their tone and grain.  The Afromosia, (African Teak) has a wonderfull rich tone.  The dark wood against the vibrant fabric should really make the frames pop without overpowering the stunning design.  The cane has arrived and just about ready to fit it.  The chairs have had their first coat of oil (apart from the backs) and are looking great. 

27th September

A couple of months ago I got my hands on a lovely, rare, Dankse Mobler four seat couch / daybed and two low back armchairs.  When she arrived it was immediately clear she needed a full work up.  

The covers were a bad flash back to the late 80's, and there was a significant hole in the cane on the back of the couch. The old coating on the wood was tired, all in all she had seen better days.  It has been at the back of the list while I tried to find a matching cane supplier in NZ. 

This week she came right to the front, cane is on it’s way from Christchurch, and a bolt of fantastic citrus green fabric from Warwick has gone to the upholsterer.   I have taken her apart completely and we are now on day 2 of working on the frames.  She is coming back to life slowly but beautifully.  Although the coating was sad the timber underneath, Afromosia, was just waiting for revival.  It’s going to be at least another full couple of days work on the frames but it is going to be worth it.  This one is going to be a stunner!