Friday 5 October 2012

60's Lounge suite.

SOLD: 60's Vinyl Lounge suite. 








Several hours, hundreds of staples and tacks and a couple of blisters later the couch was back to bare bones.  

The bases and arms headed to the workshop to be sanded, the fabric backs were heading to the upholsterers and patterns were being made of the removed vinyl pieces. 

After much thought, and changing my mind about 10 times, I decided to change the Vinyl.  I contemplated replacing it with modern vinyl but in the end I decided to recover the set in a stunning fabric by Warwick.  The fabric is from their Cordova range,  Colour: Licorice. This set is well on its way to a total makeover.





 

Monday 1st October.

I picked up the lounge suite at the weekend and was delighted.  All the elements of the design that I loved in the pics were just as fabulous in person.   Was also right about the condition, it was in a bit of a state. All the seat webbing was beyond help. The fabric back and seat material had seen better days, the wood works needed serious attention and the vinyl... well although in reasonable condition it was not going to be able to be brought back to a condition I would be happy with.
 

I began the deconstruction.  

Thursday 27th September


So up until a couple of days ago I had avoided pieces with vinyl like the plague.  It’s not that I don’t like the look, I have seen some stunning sets. Something always held me back till now...

I stumbled across a rather sad set, that was being sold off after being used in Mt Zion, an upcoming film from Open Fire Films. It wasn’t it’s ‘fame’ that caught my eye but rather something about the details.  The diamond detail on the back, the subtle use of the wood on the arms and what appear to be beautiful mahogany bases. She looks like a bit of a wreck, but I’m hoping, after what I know will be a lot of hard work, this set blossoms like I think she can.  This could be the first and last vinyl set I buy, or the beginning of a new love affair.