Sunday 20 May 2012

Viking Sofa & chairs

SOLD: Viking Sofa & chairs


Finally I found some great fabrics to make cushions & have some throw blankets for this set.  The throws are a lovely textilia fabric (Design:YILDIZ Colour:Deer) and the cushions are from some some great vintage fabric ends that I found (floral)  


I thoroughly enjoyed my coffee this morning getting to look at this set finished. I also really enjoyed getting the camera out. This is another way of me 'seeing' a piece I have spent so much time with.  If I had more room this set wouldn't be going anywhere! 

   



 
The viking set is all done and she looks & feels great.  It has been with me for a while now.  As the first set from this maker that I have worked with, I love to have time to sit with it, to really start to 'see' it.

She was finished today, so I'm really looking forward to coming down tomorrow and having coffee while I get to look at the lines again.  Once a piece is finished I get to look at it, almost anew. I get to discover it with a fresh eye, to just enjoy the details rather than look at it as a job for the day. 




Sunday 20th May

All the pieces are back together and getting their daily coats of oil.  The couch like the chairs re-set like a dream.  I always find it interesting to see something arrive, something whole, if a little sad & tired at times. Then, I take it apart and all I have is a pile of wood.  Sometime later it goes back together and it always amazes me that the pieces of timber suddenly become something so beautiful again.  I'm sure it is only a small part of the thrill that a designer gets when they see their first final prototype, and they know, they just know; It's right.  I had my usual rebuild thrill with this set.  The fine lines and design details. These pieces have completely won me over.

The new foam is here and the covers should be completed soon.  I'm still searching for that perfect accompanying fabric for cushions. 
       

Friday 18th May

I've been working away quietly in the workshop this week and concentrating on the Viking set. Both chairs are back together and the couch is due to be reset tomorrow.

 The chairs are beautifully shaped and slipped back together like new. A rare version from this NZ maker they have very individual & recognisable design details. These are accompanied by Vikings classic cigar shaped 3 seat sofa.  The beauty of this set is that it holds a large space visually but it is also perfect for villa or apartment living.  My litmus test... If I saw one of these come up again, would I bid for it? Definitely! it's a fantastic little set, well made with quality materials.

After much consideration I selected the fabric, a chunky, heavily woven, two tone upholstery cloth that sits well against the wood.  I contemplated a brighter, louder fabric but it's the frames here that are the story, and they deserve the headline.

Now I just want to find a nice vintage piece of fabric for throw cushions to compliment them.  It's still slowly, slowly, gently, gently but these should be ready to be listed on Sunday, or early next week.  Check out the curves!!






Tuesday 15th May


 




I have been working on the Viking all day.  I haven't had one of these before and as I remove old coatings, clean & condition the wood and ready them for re-setting, I am impressed.  

They have some lovely design details.  It is a gently, gently approach with the frames that will result in all the best parts of the vintage being retained while helping them head into the next 40 years.  They are going to have all new foam and upholstery prepared.