Sunday 19 May 2013

Funky 50's fireside chairs

 SOLD: A pair of funky 50's fireside chairs.


Both chairs came up beautifully,  The contrast between the blond oak detailing and the new rich black covers worked exactly as I hoped.  A striking pair again, exactly as it should be.







Tuesday, 14 May


The first chair is coming along nicely.  Under all that old dark stain on the legs and armrest is the most beautiful oak.  It's taking a while get the lovely blond tones back but another concerted effort tomorrow should see the frames 90% complete.  Because of the light tone of the wood I decided to go full contrast and give this pair some seriously svelte black covers.  They will pop with a with a nice bright throw cushion.  Can't wait to put the legs back on to get the full effect.

Saturday, 11 May 2013

After the best part of 6 hours, there's not much left to strip.  Totally back to their bare bones, now it's time to start rebuilding.

Thursday, 9 May 2013



I got these brought up from Levin.  I couldn't resist, it was the details of the design that got me.  So 50's and sure of themselves. It was obvious from the outset (even before I got my hands on them) that they would be in a terrible state.

The webbing would be blown for sure, the foam and packing may still be okay but all new covers would be needed.  The wood (whatever type it was) was going to need to be fully stripped back and I would bet my favorite chair that joints would need to be reset.  I was right on all counts. These are going to have to be taken back to the frames and given some serious love from the ground up.  I can't wait because I know how great they are going to feel when the work is finished.